Friday, 30 January 2009

salmon'd: almost an anagram of the infamous archaic fishery past tense

almonds today.

Almond praline, to be precise. My original intention was to make almond praline cake, which of course begins with making the praline. I ended up making so much almond praline, and so much almond praline buttercream icing, that I had to make two more cakes on top of the original almond praline cake just to use it all up: obivously not literally on top as that would be, though delicious, structually unsound.

The closest I can manage to a pun on the word "praline" is this extract from the Dead Parrot Sketch.

Praline: I understand that this is Bolton.
Shopkeeper: Yes.
Praline: Well, you told me it was Ipswich.
Shopkeeper: It was a pun.
Praline: A pun?
Shopkeeper: No, no, not a pun, no. What's the other thing which reads the same backwards as forwards?

Praline: A palindrome?
Shopkeeper: Yes, yes.
Praline: It's not a palindrome. The palindrome of Bolton wo
uld be Notlob. It don't work.

The customer's name sure is a good bit of pub quiz trivia. We've had a picture of John Cleese's Praline, so let's have some pictures of my praline. I want to see how many times I can type "praline" before it no longer resembles a real word. Current status: uneasy.

I took a picture at the beginning because I wanted to remember the sheer amount of sugar that went into this. Taken near the start of the caramelisation process or, as I like to think of it, SUGAR TURNING BLACK AND ALIVE.

Next the praline after only a couple of minutes in the fridge. It was at this point I realised there isn't actually a rolling pin in the flat, so instead I had to crush it to pieces using the a screwdriver, which fortunately had a handle that was made of metal so it was bigger and in all probability heavier than a rolling pin would have been.

Finally, here is the almond praline post- being put in a plastic bag and pounded for ages.

It tastes pretty good on its own. And now I have mastered praline I feel I would be fairly confident attempting brittle! Maybe even nougat someday! Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment