Saturday, 7 March 2009

the almond spinoffs.

Finally, the end of blog posts about almonds.

I followed the almond praline cake recipe to the letter, but I think the recipe showed you how to make a cake for 400 people who expected their cake to be served in one big trough. The upshot was, I had too much icing and praline for just the one cake.

I made some swiss roll sponge (that's with no butter remember!) and made an almond praline swiss roll:


And I STILL had plenty of things left so I made some squares out of swiss roll sponge:


We were inviting people round and force-feeding them almond praline for ages.

Next I want to make another orange cake - I made one before and it was without doubt the ugliest cake I ever made. I didn't even want to take a photo of it. It tasted wonderful though - and my housemate is currently doing the set design for Much Ado About Nothing which includes loads of oranges, so I'm hoping to "borrow" one. I think the set has loads of oranges in it because the play is set in the oranges capital of the universe, but also because there is a definite citrus theme to the play which is often overlooked. I would point doubters to this particular line:

When I said I would die a bachelor, I did not think I should live until LIMES!!!!!!! (II.iii)

There we have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment