Sunday, 1 March 2009

desperately seeking a joke with "almonds" as the punchline.

I realised I never actually blogged about what I did with all that almond praline.

Well just look at that.

I don't make very beautiful cakes, I should say that now. They don't look professional they look positively slapdash. But they taste nice. This is my almond praline cake, you can see bits of the praline in the mixture and on the very top, and the icing is my homemade buttercream icing, which was too runny. So the icing couldn't go all around the sides of the cake but only on the top.

The eggs in the cake were laid by my very own chickens back home. That's why the cakes are so yellow. You can see that more obviously in this picture of the cake just out of the oven:

I made so much icing left over that I was able to make more almond praline things, which I'll blog about soon, but not now. There are too many almonds in this post by now.

This blog is becoming increasingly about my enthusiastic yet inept endeavours as an amateur pudding chef. I don't mind that. Here are some other things that have happened recently:

  • I got asked to perform a pun-routine I do (about Shakespeare) at a quiz night that was raising money for a performance of Much Ado About Nothing, called Much Ado About Quizzing. Our quiz team was called The Bad Quartos and we were the furthest from winning you could get.
  • My friend then reported she overheard two of our mutual friends swapping quotes from this on the bus a few days ago. I'm in popular culture! Sort of.
  • I went to the Drama Ball last night. Its theme was Horrible Histories, and I was dressed as an abtract Marie Antoinette with a red ribbon choker on, and a dress I've been waiting a long time to wear. There's nothing quite like the drama ball, there's such a good mix of breathtakingly elegant costumes worn by beautiful people, who have clearly put a lot of thought into what they're doing, and then there's the downright silly ones which are just as great. You get few instances of plain no effort. I took no photos myself, so I'm waiting for the professional ones to come through. The pudding wasn't a patch on 2008's.
  • Having watched The Maltese Falcon recently, out table toasted "to success in crime".
  • Having watched The Big Sleep recently (thank you, friend, for lending me the Bogart double feature!) I have a new favourite respone to a compliment:
Kind Person: [gives compliment]
Response: Yeah, what you see's nothing. I've got a Balinese dancing girl tattooed on my chest.

  • Disneyland Paris turned me back into an esctatically happy child for a day. I was worried that, having not been to Disney for about ten years now, all the magic would have gone. It really hasn't; Disney continues to hold exclusively good memories for me. And I appear to have gotten over my fear of rollercoasters!

No comments:

Post a Comment